We are owned by our members. We are not owned by Hamilton Medical Center or any other company. We are pleased to announce our conversion to a community charter and are now providing financial services to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Whitfield and Murray Counties. Our mission is to improve the financial health and well-being of every person in our community. This new charter will allow access to our many products and services by all our friends and neighbors. Previously, a person could join only if employed by Hamilton and Murray Medical Centers or one of the many Selected Employee Groups (SEGs) which we served. We enable these employers to offer their employees and associates all the benefits of credit union membership at no cost to their companies. The employees and associates view credit union membership as a benefit that helps them save money. They also find our credit union staff dedicated to delivering convenient, dependable, personal service to every member.
The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), which governs all credit unions, approved our request upon receipt of an application along with a business plan for serving the new field of membership.
HealthCom Federal Credit Union is safe, secure and well positioned to serve additional potential members. Our products and services are very competitive and we offer the latest in financial technology. We look forward to assisting you with your financial needs.
History of HealthCom Federal Credit Union
HealthCom Federal Credit Union was chartered on September 23, 1958 under the name HMH Federal Credit Union. Ten employees of Hamilton Memorial Hospital deposited shares of $5 each to start the credit union, which would enable members to borrow money and earn dividends on savings. Our name changed from HMH to HMC in 1982 due to our primary sponsor name change from Hamilton Memorial Hospital to Hamilton Medical Center. For more than 50 years, we have existed solely for the purposes of serving the best interest of our members. This focus on members instead of profits allows us to offer a full range of financial services specifically designed to meet our members' needs and provide substantial savings.
In 1985, employees of Murray Medical Center in Chatsworth joined the credit union and over a period of several years, the fields of membership expanded to include employees and associates of thirty area doctor offices, four nursing homes, and a retirement community.
For over 47 years, the credit union’s office was located inside its sponsorship building; Hamilton Medical Center. In January 2005, the credit union moved into an office complex located in Peach Plaza, a few blocks from the hospital. Our office space increased from 500 to 1600 square feet. Checking accounts, direct deposits, cash withdrawals and ATM/Debit cards become available to members in an attempt to improve member convenience. In 2007, continued growth allowed the addition of a 24/7 phone teller and online banking with bill pay capabilities. In 2008, ATMs were installed in Hamilton and Murray Medical Centers. IRA accounts become available to members in January of 2009.
In December, 2008 the credit union purchase 1.6 acres of land and in December 2009 ground was broken for the construction of a 4800 square foot main office building located at 1412 Chattanooga Avenue. In December, 2010 the credit union moved into its new office and now offers even more convenience services to its members such as an on-site drive-up ATM and three drive-up lanes. On Friday mornings the drive-up windows open at 7:30 AM.
A seven-member board of directors with an additional two supervisory committee members administers and establishes the policies of the credit union. The directors are credit union members who volunteer their time and expertise and are elected by the membership at an annual meeting. Each member has one vote. There are no stockholders at credit unions.
HealthCom Federal Credit Union is a member of the Georgia State League of Credit Unions and the Mountain Empire Chapter of the State of Georgia. The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), a government agency, insures deposits up to $250,000.